Surface touch screen stuck right clicking Windows 10

EDIT: I noticed the first paragraph was removed from my post. Basically I'd been having this issue on my Surface Pro 3 for a few months in the tech preview, but it seemed to go away after going to official release. It's happened maybe twice since release on my Pro 3.

However, I've just upgraded my girlfriend's Surface 3, and she says she has the same problem very regularly. It's obvious touches are being detected as right clicks as jump lists open on the task bar, and the touch indicator is a square.

Performing an actual right click does not fix it, nor does locking and unlocking the device. Pen inputs are shown, but have no effect during this either. The only foreseeable method of fixing it is a restart.

I haven't found any other posts on this issue, but the fact it's affected both of us is very strange. I can provide video of the issue if needed.

I do hope someone has some insight into how to solve this problem. Thanks.

Answer
Answer

redfearnb,

The KB 3093266 is the update the contains the fixes. You should also make sure your version of OneNote is updated.  OneNote 2013 and OneNote 2016.  Select File/Account/Check for updates.

It has fixed the Touch tap right-click.  There appear to be at times ink issues disappearing still.  I +1 for closing the thread as the touch tap right-click looks solved.  If anyone is still having it they should contact support and potentially start a new thread as it might be a different situation?

Here are links for the offline installers for the update.  Give this a try.

32-bit OS: http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/crup/2015/09/windows10.0-kb3093266-x86_bd8d24aa395995b640427db646da69e88ecdbf4c.msu

64-bit OS: http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/crup/2015/09/windows10.0-kb3093266-x64_6751b43720389771ff946993ed0def5a7ec4acc3.msu

If you are a member of a domain worst case scenario the domain with Windows Update Server is holding back the update.  You have a problem with your IT guys holding you back.

Now, if anyone performs a Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 8.1 using Windows Update you will not see the KB 3093266 in your Windows 10 Windows Update history.  Windows Update upgrade to Windows 10 has some of these streamlined into the installer.  That threw me off for about 3 reinstalls because I could not find the update.  

When you manually run the offline installer it will tell you if the updates have already been installed.

Also, run the "Surface App" and make sure it works correctly. When I was installing a fresh install of Windows 10 from USB the Surface App would not find the pen yet the pen actually did work.  Only upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 was I able to maintain the Surface App working.

I'd also make sure to unroll any of the temporary fixes you may have tried from these threads.  When I saw the news I choose to rebuild my surface to give it a fresh start at having the solution.

My story.... but maybe something to help. Good luck.  

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 1, 2020 Views 8,073 Applies to: